Shoulder Pain Treatment Edmonton Physiotherapy:
Rotator cuff injury
Referred neck pain
Arthritis or joint pain
Pain from internal organ
What type of testing is best for shoulder pain?
The most important thing to remember about your imaging results?
I have shoulder pain and it hurts to move my shoulder above my head…
Hey physio…Is exercise important for recovering from shoulder injury?
How do I tell if the movement I am doing is good?
A good recommendation is listening to your body. Pain should not significantly increase after you finish a shoulder routine. If it does increase, it should settle down within about an hour. Also, pain the following day should NOT dramatically increase
- If you follow the above recommendation you are most likely increasing your strength. And can improve strength without overloading the shoudler.
Are you diagnosed with rotator cuff injury and looking for exercises?
Increasing strength of muscle and tendon
Increasing blood flow
The pendulum exercise is a good way to warm up the shoulder and stretch it actively. Start by leaning forward and make small circles with your hand.
Try this routine:
- Perform small circles for 30 sec to 1 min
- Take a rest
- Move your arm up and down and then side to side for 1 min
Repeat x 3 per day
This exercise should not drastically increase your shoulder pain.
Assisted Range of Motion Exercise
Using a cane or broom stick this exercise is a good one for stiff shoulders.
This routine may look like:
- Raise the shoulder using the broom stick for assistance
- Only go as far as comfortable feeling or feel a ‘moderate stretch’ at the end
- Hold for 3 seconds at the end range or top
- Repeat 12 reps, and 2-3 sets
Shoulder Band Exercise for shoulder pain treatment
This is a good exercise for general strength of the rotator cuff. Reflecting the picture on the right, you can try the following:
- Keep the elbow in towards the body
- Pull the band apart while squeezing the shoulder blades together
- Hold 3-5 seconds
- 12-15 reps 2-3 sets
Things to remember when exercising you shoulder
- Exercise should not drastically increase your pain immedaitely
- Some ‘pain’ may be normal but should not be an increase in sharp, burning or unrelenting pain
- It is always best to consult a professional when seeking exercise advise for injury
- Exercise should be fun and enjoyable
Want over the phone advise for you injury?
Want to move free of shoulder pain and get doing the things you love? Shoulder pain treatment at our Edmonton Physiotherapy Clinic is here to help.
Call us at 780.705.5774
View our physio services at http://regenerateshockwavetherapy.com/physiotherapy/
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
141, 14315 118 Ave NW