Frequently Asked Questions
- How effective is shockwave therapy?
Shockwave therapy is highly effective and studies reveal 70- 90 percent success rate.
- What should I expect on my first visit?
You will be greeted by friendly front staff members. We will guide you through any questions you may have.
You will fill out a small personal history questionnaire and explain your problem.
After the paper work is complete, you will meet our physiotherapist. Our registered physio will assess your condition and provide you with a diagnosis. If you are appropriate for the treatment, you will then learn about the technology and what to expect.
The shockwave treatment usually takes between 30-60 minutes. The feeling of shockwave is often described as a strong and deep vibration. This sensation is actually the sound wave entering the body into the desired tissue!
Although there may be some discomfort, it is usually not described as painful.
You will always get all treatment options available for your condition. Patient education is our priority!
So relax, and get ready for regeneration!
- Are physiotherapists the best practitioners to deliver this advanced medical treatment?
A physiotherapist is a skilled medical practitioner who is an expert in exercise.
Physiotherapists diagnose the musculoskeletal system and have extensive training to do this.
- Can I continue my stretches and exercise program while doing shockwave?
Your physiotherapist will direct you on activities to perform, modify or avoid.
- Who gets shockwave therapy?
Almost anyone can receive shockwave therapy. However, some people are not appropriate for this treatment. This includes:
- Patients on anticoagulant therapy (blood thinners)
- Malignancy (cancer) in the area to be treated
- Active local infections
- How long does it take to get results from shockwave therapy?
There is no exact timeline of when patients will begin to respond to the treatment. The majority of patients feel immediate releif from pain.
Shockwave therapy is a form of regenerative medicine. This means that it will take time for the body to heal from the shockwave treatment.
- How does shockwave therapy work?
Shockwave therapy sends short blasts of energy into your cells and tissue.
These sound waves break down inflammation, remove scar tissue and increase muscle strength.
- What is the difference between radial and focused shockwave therapy?
Please read our blog here for more information. Click here.
- Is shockwave therapy safe?
Yes. When performed by medical professionals it is a safe and non-invasive medical treatment.
- Do you direct bill to my insurance company? Is this covered if i have physiotherapy benefits?
YES, shockwave therapy is billed under your physiotherapy benefits.
If you have any questions on your coverage you can contact our office.